How to Apply
When and Where to Apply
- Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 (HCV/S8) applications are accepted when waiting list is open.
- Applicants can apply in person at 4001 Halsey Street, Victoria, TX 77901; between 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays; except the first seven (7) days of each month and holidays.
- Persons with disabilities or Limited English Proficiency may call to make special arrangements to complete application.
- Applications are only mailed to person who reside outside of the City of Victoria.
- If requested, the application will be mailed in an accessible format.
- Applicants must submit a pre-application. The applicant will complete the application on their own whenever possible.
- The head of household, and all household members over eighteen (18) years of age must sign the application and all required forms.
- Applications are date and time stamped when submitted, fully completed and signed.
- Applicants will be pre-screened and placed on the waiting list in the order that they applied according to date and time.
Being called from the waitlist
- Applicants will be called in the order that they applied when vouchers are available to be leased.
- The Housing Authority (HA) will schedule an applicant interview. Appointments will be scheduled by mail or telephone with at least five (5) calendar days' notice.
- If the applicant cannot attend, it is the applicant's responsibility to inform the HA, prior to the scheduled interview. The HA will reschedule and notify the applicant in writing.
- If the applicant fails to attend the scheduled interview and does not contact the HA to reschedule, the application may be denied admission. The applicant may reapply at a later date.
- All family members eighteen (18) years of age or older to attend the interview.
- All information provided by the applicant will be verified to determine applicant eligibility before the applicant is issued a voucher or placed on the waiting list.
- After verification, a final determination of eligibility will be made. The HA will inform the applicant of their eligibility in writing.
- The applicant will be issued a voucher.
- Applicants must inform the HA, in writing or in person, of changes in contact or any other information.
- Applicants must respond to requests from the HA to update information on their application.
- Applicants must confirm continued interest in applying by contacting the HA every six (6) months.
- Failure to provide information or to contact the HA every six (6) months to confirm continued interest will result in the applicant being removed from the Waiting List.
- Mail that is returned by the U.S. Postal Service may result in removal from the Waiting List.
- Applicants who are removed from the Waiting List may reapply for assistance when the Waiting List is opened.
- Exception: If the applicant did not respond to the HA request because of a family member's disability, the HA will reinstate the applicant in his/her former position on the Waiting List.